Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!

Good night Christmas. Whew! Where did it go?

Last night's dinner was beautiful, and my careful planning and timing really helped. I made a LOVELY cheesecake...perfect, not even a crack. I didn't end up with time to make graham crackers so I used a box of crushed Cherrybrook Kitchen's Vanilla Graham Cookies, mixed with butter for my my crust.
After dinner, with plenty of time for church service, my daughter and I headed off. I was surprised to find I still have some night blindness issues. We made it 2 blocks before we headed home...frustrated and disappointed. The kid can't yet drive a standard...we had no choice. All I could see were lights...no lanes, no vehicles. Scary.

Came home and remembered we lived 1 block from our local Christmas village neighborhood and it's Festival of Light's. The 3 of us took a slow, 2 hour, chilly walk through a large neighborhood, completely decked out in lights. Mule and horse drawn wagons and carriages clopped by us. One wagon was full of a church choir singing carols. It was perfect; simple, traditional, free, and a 3 minute walk from the blazing wood stove at home. Came home and had yet another slice of cheesecake while we watched Star Wars.

This morning the guy dropped the MIL at the airport and came home with giant, hot lattes. We exchanged our gifts with the kid. She was very happy with her white chocolate-candy cane bark, handmade peppermint patties, and inspirational calender. Hubby loved his peanut brittle and stainless steel thermos I bought months ago and had tucked away. He met an artist last week and had purchased 2 Grateful Dead inspired prints for me. I was touched and very surprised. The rest day flew by, mostly in pajamas, mostly in front of the TV watching A Christmas Story. Had a lazy brunch...everyone just ate what they wanted. I got inspired and made Peanut Butter Blossom cookies a few hours ago, and the kid got to take the warm cookies home with her.... along with her 1/2 gallon yogurt container of leftovers.

Now...it's just me and the quiet peace of an empty house. Another Christmas has passed. This year it was enough just to feel well enough to take part in it. The last 2 years have been dominated by the 'unknown illness' aka gluten intolerance. I feel so blessed and thankful to be given this gift of a life worth living. All I have to do is keep doing what I'm doing and I WILL continue to feel better. The last few months have shown me that. I'm excited to step into the New Year and see what it brings.

Peace and good will to all, and to all a goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment