Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Low Cost Health Care Options

So maybe you are like the guy and I? We make too much money to receive state assisted health care, but not enough money to buy health insurance. We live in limbo, not able to receive real diagnostic or urgent care, waiting for an emergency that may also bring forth needed testing. Seriously. We have thought about me joining a baseball team in hopes I get smacked in the head with a ball and rushed in for an MRI, which I have now 6 expired orders for. I suggested standing in front a shooting range dressed as a deer, then I read the story about the poor woman in MI who shot herself in the shoulder, in hope they would fix it while taking the bullet out. Nope. They just took the bullet out and left her shredded rotator cuff in place. So, how does the working poor and uninsured populous of America survive beside kitchen table podiatry and bathroom mirror oral surgery??

This was a helpful GOV link. It lists low cost or sliding scale clinics in your zip code in the USA. There is no such thing as a free clinic here. When people say this to me, I tend to turn purple and walk away. On a sliding scale, we still had to pay $99.00 per visit, which closed the regular health care door for us. You may have better luck, and surely will if you have minor children...which lowers your scale payment.


This link, lists the state by state assisted programs, also known as 'Medicaid'. Most states, provide free medical care to children of any income level and have an income tier based levels of coverage for adults. Notice I say 'most' states? This one does not.


This link lists Certified Nurse Midwives. CNM's can provide primary medical care and write prescriptions in most states. Mine, is only $45.00 for a full 30-45 minute appointment, labs extra. She is my angel of mercy, has close to 40 years experience in traditional and alternative medicine, and is very informed about food sensitivities and Fibro. We swap gluten free recipes, too.


This is CVS's link. CVS has Minute Clinics. Have a sore throat, need a booster shot or medication refill? You can go here for a quick visit with an RN. Prices vary from state to state, but evens out around $50-75.00 per visit.


Or, Walgreen's. Same deal. RN, about $50-75.00.


Most local health departments also offer limited medical care, including free Pap smears and breast exams for low income women, and vaccinations for those who vaccinate.


Alternative care at a low cost? Why yes! Community acupuncture clinics all over the US offer sliding scales.  I honestly only can pay $15.00 per visit, and that is fine with them. I offer more when I have it, but that's only happened once so far.


Check here for massage schools and their student run clinics, where you can receive free or next to free 1 hour massages.


Are to too squeamish for bathroom mirror oral surgery? Many dental schools offer low cost or free cleaning and some discounted work by final year students. They have been the only way for us to afford to have our teeth in semi working condition. Find the one near you and ask if they have a clinic.


Mental health is very important. Those of you also dealing with chronic pain, know there is a fine line between OK and totally in need of mental health care. You can find options here.


I know this sounds really odd, but many large grocery store chains now offer mobile labs... where I get my updated autoimmune blood drawn ever 6 months for less than half the cost if I walked into the actual lab. I had a full Rheumatoid Arthritis/chronic inflammation panel of 8 tubes drawn for less than $100.00. This is my only access to diagnostics. They offer everything from cholesterol screenings, allergy tests to hormone levels, and bone density scans. Many friends have actually reported it is less expensive to use one of these mobile labs then it is to pay their co-pay. Check your local listings!

Remember. The best health care, and highest of quality, is the one you have access to. Sometimes that means caring for yourself even more thoughtfully than the person next door. You have to live healthy, despite insurance or not. Fresh air, exercise, living with joy and intention, researching and taking supplements as needed, drinking lots of water and eating like you want to live... helps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment