Friday, December 31, 2010

Living in the moment

With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


‎"To a happy person, the formula for happiness is quite simple: Regardless of what happened early this morning, last week, or last year—or what may happen later this evening, tomorrow, or three years from now—now is where happiness lies." ~Richard Carlson


While I do enjoy a good plan and a stroll down memory lane as much as the next person, I truly strive to live in the moment. What that means to me is staying focused on today, and not letting ghosts of the past or future rule my life. What if? When? I can not answer either of those. Today is the day. Now. Present. We can't change what we've done or have not done, nor can we predict the future. We can only focus on today, the present moment, it's challenges and celebrations. How do I stay focused on the now? By living it. Everyday I wake up, say good morning to the world, and I read today's news. This what's happening today. This is today's weather. This is today's topic of thought. This is what I am making for dinner tonight. If I get stuck in a loop of past or future thinking, I turn the music on and dance. I let my mind focus on what's in front of me. I deal with the laundry or dish stack. Today's chores. Today's needs to be met. Today's recipe that needs to leave my brain. Today. Now. Presently.

There is no better tomorrow. There is only today. Why wait for tomorrow when you have a today, right in front of you? Why wait for Spring? This Winter thing is quite fantastic in it's own right. Today is beautiful to me, despite my post holiday flare-up. Today is beautiful because it is the only December 31, 2010 I will ever live. Today is only one single day of 365 chances to start anew. 365 days to live fully. 365 days to take a wrong turn and find a new road. 365 days of loving. 365 days to make a difference. 365 days to heal some guts. 365 days of weather changes. 365 days of choices to make. Whew! How can I focus on day number 1, when I haven't finished day number 365? I can't, or actually, I won't. I won't live January 1, 2011 until tomorrow. I won't push for January 2, or July 2, or December 21, 2012, until they happen. I choose to live in the moment. I choose to be here now...

No comments:

Post a Comment