Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The VITA Program: Free Income Tax Services

Our taxes are confusing and difficult because the guy and I are both sub-contractors. We have been paying an accountant $390.00 every year to them for us. Last year as reality hit us, so did tax season. I tried to do them, but after the 6th screw up of miles logged and tool costs...I threw my hands up in defeat. I got online and found a great FREE service offered by the United Way. 

The VITA Program offers free tax preparation for individuals and families who make less than $49,999.00 a year. We were matched with an accountant with 20 years experience who fixed past flubs, found more refunds due to us, and saved us $390.00 in fees. They file directly on the IRS site, so our Federal refund was deposited in 7 days with no fees taken out.

Please check out the above link for more information. The free tax clinic dates will be announced this week, and you can rest assured that a competent person who volunteered their time to help is on your side, up to date with the laws, rebates, and credits. And remember, if you were diagnosed via biopsy with Celiac Disease, save those grocery receipts! You can deduct the cost difference for gluten free food as a medical expense. Those of us up the creek with no insurance, we can't deduct food costs, but we can deduct every penny we paid for our own health-care needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment