Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Thank You, Conte's Pasta! Frozen Gluten Free Pierogi, Ravioli, and Gnocchi

The guy and I started to get things together to make gluten free pierogi and some ravioli, instead of veggie burgers as planned. Dairy free for me, but we were still going to use eggs yolks for the pasta. I ran to the store for a few needed items and on the way to check out, I caught something out of the corner of my eye in the frozen case. Wait. What is that? I've never seen that packaging before. Well, well, well. Gluten free pierogi, gnocchi, and 2 kinds of ravioli!? Oh yes! I didn't know if I should laugh or cry, I was so excited.
www.contespasta.com/specialty.htm
I picked up a cheese ravioli and a lovely casein free potato-onion pierogi. The pierogi are pleasantly delicate in both texture and flavor compared to the frozen gluten containing brands at the market. We found it very important to place the pasta in the pan gently, and to not let them boil, just simmer while stirring gently now and then. The rice flour, corn starch and tapioca based dough is fairly delicate with some good structure and 'tooth' from the eggs. I'm buying the gnocchi next week...ooo, I'm thrilled!

All products were $6.99 for 12 ounces, so they are about $2-3.00 more than the gluten containing frozen pastas of like style, but there are just sometimes you have to say, YES! I have also decided there's a time where a possible headache and rash from the small amount of actual egg white in each tasty bite of pierogi, means far less to me than eating the 3 or 4 pillows of familiar, comforting bliss I did not have to spend 3 hours making by hand. They will indeed be a special treat 1 or 2 x a month.

Thank you, Conte's Pasta! Please check out their website for the whole product line including frozen pizzas, lasagna, stuffed shells, use the store locator/order from the GF mall,  check out the nutritional information, and ingredients. Break out the sauerkraut. I'm eating pierogi tonight =)

No comments:

Post a Comment