Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Homemade Arnica Salve (Herbal Muscle Rub)

Arnica salve
Arnica (arnica montana) is possibly one of my best friends. We've been hanging out for years. I have arnica homeopathic remedies, bath teas, oils, and this wonderful salve. It's one of those things you can leave in your gym bag, on the bedside table, and in your medicine chest. People with neurological issues have reported a feeling of intense burning when we use menthol or cayenne based drug store store muscle balm. I agree. The only product (that I don't make) that I can use safely, and only on some parts of my body, is Tiger Balm. I keep that around for really bad arthritis/joint pain and use my own arnica salve for massage, muscle spasms, tightness, injury without broken skin, or bruising*. I'm sure to reach for this salve and use it liberally since it only contains 4 ingredients, all of which I can spell, pronounce, and identify.

Reminder to read this through before you start, especially the let herb sit in oil for 4 weeks part. If you miss that one...it's kind of all over. I'm making a very large batch, but I have come up with a 1/4 batch recipe that would suit a beginner. You can use the same method for many blossomy, herbaceous, verdant dry or fresh herbs such as St. John's Wort and it's blossoms, borage flowers, lemon balm, calendula or rose. Most drier woody things like to get ground and slowly heated in oil, or the volatile compounds need to be extracted with alcohol. I make creosote salve using that method.

WHAT
2 ounces of dried arnica flowers (you can use 1 ounce. I like a good arnica punch)
1 quart of cold pressed olive oil
bees wax, pellets, powder, or grated (less than an 1/4 ounce per batch, so I store my pound in the 'fridge)
1 Vitamin E 400 IU oil capsule or 2 drops of grapefruit seed extract (GSE)
1 quart size mason jar with lid
long handle metal spoon
1 craft use silicone spatula
tins, jars, or what have you for salve containers.

FIRST STEP/Seep the herb in oil
To a sterilized quart mason jar, add 2 ounces of dried arnica flowers. Add olive oil and fill jar half way. Use a sterilized long handled spoon to mush the flowers down and carefully top off with oil till just under the glass rings on the jar. Cover tightly and let seep for 4 weeks. A month longer is fine as long as the the oil is clean and cool. I like to let it sit in a window that gets some morning sun. Shake the jar gently once a day. The oil will turn colors, the flowers will do funky things...it's really quite beautiful.
SECOND STEP/Process into herbal oil
Using an fine mesh colander, drain the mason jar into a large 4 cup measuring cup. Let drain for 10 minutes, then transfer the oily herb sludge to an herb bag, old nut milk bag, pillow case, clean non-fuzzy kitchen towel, or double thick cheese cloth. Squeeze the herb until all of the oil has drained into the measuring cup. Compost the spent herb, and you now have a lovely arnica oil. Bottle and use as is for massage and compresses. Herb oils can also be used as a base for lip balms, lotions, creams, and other potions. It's a great skill to learn. (no photo. dark icky oily herb)

THIRD STEP/To make salve
Pour the arnica oil into a small sauce pan over low heat. Heat until hot, but not french fry hot, smoldering, or burning. Some people use a microwave for this step, but I don't. Turn the stove off, and start stirring in bee's wax a 1/4 teaspoon or a few pellets at a time. Stir until wax dissolves, adding more as needed until salve starts to thicken. As soon as it is starting to thicken up and feel like softening hardened coconut oil, pierce the Vitamin E capsule (or GSE) and squeeze the oil in. Stir well to combine, then pour salve into waiting containers of choice. The salve will thicken upon standing as it cools. Keep in a cool dry place and it will last for years. Arnica has been used for centuries for muscle strain, pain, tenderness, cramping, and bruising.
Simple. And now you have enough arnica oil or salve to last for 2 years, probably way more... but less if you're a Fibro-ite or an athlete. If you bought a quart of arnica oil from the health food store at would cost over $100.00...um, wait, you can't. You'd have to special order, pay for shipping, etc. Don't you feel crafty now? ;)



*Pregnant women:  Unless your midwife/ healthcare provider tells you to, ARNICA IS NOT CONSIDERED SAFE FOR USE DURING PREGNANCY.]


* Do not use if you are allergic to it; or to plants in the Asteraceae/daisy family such as, chrysanthemums, marigolds, and daisies.


I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV. I am an herbal enthusiast sharing common herbal knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment