I am so grateful to have found exceptional, clean, GF/DF culinary inspiration with The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen. I've been cooking Ali and Tom's recipes as written, and finding I never need to change a thing. I don't need to tweak, omit, or add... though they do encourage you to do so and leave room for the recipe to grow. They cook like I do when I'm being very thoughtful about what I am eating. This is their Summer Vegetable Kitcheree, which is a perfect one pot meal, in every way. It's light yet filling. Comforting and exciting. It feels like I should eat it every day...so I have been enjoying it as my brunch, after the juicing part of my day is over. It's best warm but still great cold, too.
Summer Vegetable Kitcheree
Kitcheree is an Indian stew-like meal made from mung beans and brown rice. Spices and vegetables make up the remaining ingredients which can vary widely. Here I used carrots, fresh tomatoes, kale, peas, and cilantro. If you are on the Elimination Diet then this recipe is ideal. Just keep the tomatoes and chili flakes out until Phase 3. Once nightshades are added back into the diet then have at this recipe in its entirety!
2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil or olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
pinch or two of crushed red chili flakes
2 cups brown jasmine or basmati rice, rinsed
2 cups dry mung beans, rinsed
3 to 4 large carrots, cut into large chunks
1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
½ teaspoon ground coriander
8 to 10 cups water
4 cups finely chopped kale or spinach
1 to 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
½ cup chopped cilantro
2 to 3 teaspoons sea salt or Herbamare
dollop of chilled coconut milk, for garnish
Heat oil in an 8-quart pot (or pressure cooker). Add ginger, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and chili flakes, gently sauté over medium heat until the seeds begin to pop.
Then add the mung beans, rice, carrots, turmeric, and coriander. Stir together a bit so the spices evenly coat the rice and beans. Then add the water (start with 8 cups and add more after the stew is cooked if necessary). Lock the lid into place (if using a pressure cooker) and bring to high pressure, cook for about 10 minutes, then use the quick release method to bring the pressure down. If the stew needs some more time, bring to high pressure again and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes. Add more water if needed.
If you don't have a pressure cooker simply bring the stew to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for about 45 minutes (add more water if needed).
Once the rice and beans are cooked, add in the chopped kale, tomatoes, peas, cilantro, and salt. Stir until just mixed. Turn off heat, cover, and let stand for about 5 minutes. The tender vegetables will just barely cook in the hot stew. Add more salt to taste if necessary. Serve hot and enjoy!
Notes: Be sure to cut the carrots into large chunks otherwise they will fall apart in the stew while cooking.
Source: www.nourishingmeals.com/2009/09/summer-vegetable-kitcheree.html
And a note from me,
I did cook this in the crock pot. I started it with the coconut oil and spices on HIGH until the kitchen got fragrant, added the rice, beans, carrots and I used whole green beans.
I added an extra 1-1/12 cups of water and turned it to LOW for 4 hours, and added the greens and cilantro in about 5 minutes before serving. It worked awesome!!
No comments:
Post a Comment