Friday, July 30, 2010

1 Bag, 2 Baked Delights! Quick GF/DF Dinner Rolls and Sticky Cinnamon Buns

I have been working on a flour blend, so I have been trying different blends to see what I like best in each one. I had picked up a few bags of Pamela's Bread Mix. I used one and made baguettes a couple of weeks ago, which came out very good. I had also used it for pie crust last Thanksgiving, but never for other breads. I was planning on making baguettes again, but was feeling like I might want something sweet, too. Hum, what to do? Well, who says the whole batch has to go in a bread pan?

I followed the OVEN mixing directions on the bag and used a wooden spoon in lieu of a stand mixer. I used an ice cream scoop to scoop out the sticky batter into to a greased muffin pan. I made 6 dinner rolls. The other half of the dough had become less sticky, was looking like I could roll it, shape it, and should play with it... so I did. 


I sprinkled my baking board with rice flour and dumped the dough on it. Using a rolling pin, I rolled it into a smooth, even rectangle about 1/2 inch thick (maybe < / >). I then spread the dough with Earth Balance and sprinkled on a good 1/3 -1/2 cup of organic brown sugar, a scrape of nutmeg, and lots of cinnamon. I then rolled it up like a jelly roll and pinched the seam closed with wet fingers. I sliced 6, 2 inch thick rounds, put them in a greased baking pan.


I let both the dinner and cinnamon rolls rise for 45 minutes and baked them at 350 (f). The dinner rolls were done in 20-25 minutes, the cinnamon buns took 35.
While the cinnamon buns were still hot, I combined almond milk, maple syrup, and a TBS of powdered sugar and poured it on...instant sticky buns!


The verdict? Pamela's is by far my favorite GF bread mix in terms of both taste and versatility. It's dairy free and easy to work with. I do not have a stand mixer, and I still reached a great end product by beating the heck out of the dough with a wooden spoon (not to mention my arms are looking great from all of this test baking). I think I am taken by the honey-wheat taste of sorghum flour. The end note is a little gluten free tasting, but in general, not gross, grainy, or beany. I'm inspired to bake because of it, and that can't be a bad thing. There is also ZERO crumble factor. None. The softness and mouth feel of the finished goods leads me to believe I can make bagels that will taste like bagels, and possibly a soft pretzel or 12. Oh, and pizza crust is next, that is for sure.

The dinner rolls are crazy soft & chewy, and are keeping well. They are great as is or toasted, and they are large...burger patty large enough, I think. The cinnamon buns were the first I've ever made and I don't think I'll do a thing different next time... besides add nuts every now and again and play with different seasonal glazes. They were perfect, with no weird GF aftertaste. I'd tell you how they keep, but they are gone...down to the last crumb. So glad I took these pics before my baked good monster got home from work!

No comments:

Post a Comment