Thursday, February 11, 2010

More adventures in bread land, or, Ohh, Flat Bread

Well. Haven't wasted this rainy week...that's for sure. Got all my seeds ready to go in next week. In mere weeks I shall eat baby beet greens, and rainbow chard fresh from my yard. My goal garden wise this year is to garden whatever part of the yard I haven't yet. I mean the front too...dirt is dirt. WHY waste water on a lawn or ornamental plants? Beautiful Rainbow chard is just as pretty in a container by the front door as it is in a garden bed. Very exciting.


Money has been a stressor again, so my plan of buying some flours and gums from the Co-Op is on hold until we get a hold on our budget. A good friend has passed on some information about a wonderful gluten free baker she knows. I plan on reaching him this weekend and asking if I can interview him. He bakes at 3000 ft, I bake at 2200...we should have some similar experiences. I'm really thinking that part of the light texture of Udi's Bread comes from it being baked at a high altitude. Can you tell I've been studying?

Yesterday was bread day. I just didn't want to make yet another loaf of my GF Pantry bread, but, that was what I had to work with. WHO says it has to be baked as a loaf though? I lightly oiled a cookie sheet, mixed the bread by package directions, then I wet my hands and used them to spread the sticky glob on the pan. Just like the pizza dough...it took the water and spread like clay plaster. I baked it for about 20-25 minutes, and out came a lovely Focaccia looking bread!

While it was still hot I cut the loaf in half, then one half in strips. I took the strips and dipped them in melted butter and rolled them in cinnamon-sugar. YUM!
The other half of the rectangle is being used for bread. I made a lovely (and the first in months) Panini sandwich for lunch today and the bread was a different animal than it's loaf counterpart. It's still chewy, and almost flaky...not crumbly. I'm inspired. ONWARD!!


1 comment: