

Wednesday, I tried Gluten Free Pantry's French Bread and Pizza Mix.
The directions are not very clear for pizza, so I just went with what felt right. The batter was very dry, and very crumbly. It barely rose in my warm kitchen, and like Bob's, it was an unruly glob that needed more water to be spread in the pan. It did not tell you to par bake but I did... for 6 minutes...it could have gone 10+ I think.
The resulting crust had a very mild taste, and a chewy yet a bit too hard bite to it. I was planning on a longer refrigerated rise...but time plays with life sometimes, so an hour on the counter was all I could offer it. It was a beautiful looking thing though, held the toppings, and the leftovers the next day were still tasty.
The second glob of dough that rose in the fridge overnight became French bread sticks dipped in cinnamon sugar. They came out lovely, with a real French bread chew to the crust. The dough was much more flexible, hydrated, and easy to roll into sticks. I baked them at 400 degrees for a good 15 or so minutes.
I have learned two things with this last batch of the 'Za. Overnight rise is the only way to really go. The development of the bread/crust...can not be compared to a quick rise on the counter.
And the second...the next one is going to be a rice based crust mix w/ 1/4 of the mix substituted for a bean based mix. All rice is sort of blah, and all bean is sort of gross yet finer textured. A mix of the two, with the bean flour ratio kept small, might just do it for me. We shall see next week...
No comments:
Post a Comment